Lotus Evija production comes ALIVE
- Evija’s new manufacturing facility readied to deliver final prototypes for last stages of the testing programme
- Series production to begin in Hethel this summer
- “With our new factory ready, we are ahead of the pack in the emerging EV hypercar segment and 100% ready for some healthy competition” – Phil Popham, CEO, Lotus Cars
- New film shows Evija assembly hall coming ALIVE at https://youtu.be/KmHGUb8AcBY and www.media.lotuscars.com
(Hethel, UK – 19 February 2020) – The new manufacturing facility where Lotus will build the Evija all-electric hypercar is being readied for final prototype production.
Series production and first customer deliveries of the all-electric two-seater will begin in the summer.
The hall is situated at the brand’s historic home of Hethel, in Norfolk, UK. It has been built trackside, next to Lotus’ storied 2.2-mile circuit which has hosted testing and shake-down sessions with many Formula 1 legends such as Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jim Clark and others.
The result is a versatile and inspiring workspace that will see Lotus hand-build up to 130 examples of the Evija. The first year’s production allocation is already designated to customers around the world.
Phil Popham, CEO, Lotus Cars, commented: “This is now the newest car production facility in the world, and to witness it move from the drawing board to reality has been deeply satisfying. It’s testament to the commitment of all involved, and is the perfect sleek and high-tech production home for the Evija at our iconic Hethel headquarters.”
He proudly unveiled the completed hall to more than 1,400 Lotus employees during a series of staff briefings held in the new facility, telling them: “With our new factory ready, we are ahead of the pack in the emerging EV hypercar segment and 100% ready for some healthy competition.”
Work on the new Evija factory began in summer 2019. The interior has been fitted on three sides with gantries which frame the build stations. These have been designed and engineered to be sleek and unobtrusive, though robust enough to carry the necessary power, data and compressed air systems required to assemble the Evija.
An overhead gantry crane, multiple vehicle lifts and a wheel alignment ramp have also been installed. The interior is illuminated by more than 30,000 of the latest high-density, low-energy LEDs. A state-of-the-art light tunnel will house the rigorous final inspection, before each Evija is driven out directly on to the famous Hethel test track for dynamic validation.
Highly collaborative in nature, the project has involved the co-ordination of 20 specialist contractors with more than 50 experts on site over the last six months.
About the Lotus Evija:
- The name means ‘the first in existence’
- The world’s first all-electric British hypercar
- The first electrified Lotus, the first Lotus hypercar and the first Lotus developed under the stewardship of majority shareholder Geely
- At 2,000 PS, the world’s most powerful series production road car
- 0-62mph in under three seconds; 0-186mph in under nine seconds; a top speed of more than 200mph
- Full battery charge capability in under 10 minutes; battery power output of 2,000 kW; full EV driving range of 250 miles
- Outstanding aerodynamic performance and downforce
- A Lotus like no other. A hypercar like no other. Yet instantly recognisable – as a beautiful car, as a Lotus
- Destined to be driven, not left unappreciated in a gilded cage. It is ‘For The Drivers’
- A statement of intent, and a global calling card for Lotus Cars and Lotus Engineering
- It performs like a beast, but looks like a beauty – a technical masterpiece
Notes to Editors
For more information please contact the Lotus Communications team:
James Andrew, Executive Director, PR and Communications
+44 (0) 7384 830903
Rob Borrett, PR Manager, Product and Digital Content
+44 (0) 7718 560789
Alastair Florance, Group PR Manager
44 (0) 7802 918662
Marc Mustard, Head of Content and Launch Programmes
+44 (0) 7538 835450
Richard Yarrow, PR Manager, News and Technology
+44 (0) 7471 994525
The Lotus media site – https://media.lotuscars.com – contains news, images, specifications and full details of current models, as well as heritage cars and engineering technology.
For the latest news and information from the Lotus PR Team please follow:
For Lotus Cars social media please follow:
Group Lotus is based in Potash Lane, Hethel, Norfolk, UK, NR14 8EZ. It is part of Geely Automotive, the fastest growing automotive group in the world. Geely has a 51% controlling stake, with 49% owned by Etika Automotive, a Malaysian conglomerate.
Lotus Cars builds world-class, high-performance sports cars including the Evora, Elise and Exige ranges. In July 2019 it launched the Evija, the world’s first all-electric British hypercar. Production will start in summer 2020.
Lotus Engineering provides a comprehensive consultancy service which works with many of the world's OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers. It is internationally recognised for its long-standing contribution to ground-breaking automotive engineering and vehicle development.